We have always looked for ways to support the fostering community. Obviously not everyone is equipped or able to be a foster parent; however, we believe that everyone can contribute to the well being and growth of children who are living in foster care. As part of our ongoing outreach to help children and families involved in foster care, we have launched the Foster Swell Fund.
Did you know that the stipends provided to foster families are often limited to covering the most basic needs of that child? It also varies from state to state and by ages. For example, in many places, funds are provided that only cover the costs of formula, diapers and perhaps a little extra for clothing. Some states provide help with baby gear, while others do not. Some provide help with daycare for working mothers but no extra preschool opportunities or learning enhancement activities for children in stay at home parent scenarios. For older youth, funds for school dances, a tuxedo or dress for prom, special athletic camps, etc. are rarely if ever offered.
There is an opportunity for the village that is you and me to step in and provide extra enrichment activities and experiences to children that can help them grow, not only from an academic or development standpoint, but also in terms of their confidence and ability to express themselves in healthy way.
The following are suggestions for the types of grants that foster families can request for a specific child in foster care. Parents are welcome to submit something not on the list if they feel as though it might be appropriate and warranted. Our grants will be $150 or less and dependent on available funds and prioritized by need expressed. We cannot guarantee any grant fulfillment but will do our best to give as many children a chance to experience that "little something special" during their childhood as we can. Currently, our grants are limited to those in the U.S. foster care system.
The "A" family adopted three siblings from foster care in 2015!
Suggested Grant Requests:
- Dance Lessons of any kind for ages 12mos+ (can be quarterly installment, private if necessary, or a one-time camp)
- Music Lessons of any kind or instrument rental (can be series, monthly, or private if necessary)
- Sports Enrollment of any kind/Sports Equipment (can also be for special camps or tournament tours)
- Arts + Drama (series of classes, therapeutic art supplies, drama lessons, etc.)
- Products for Therapy related to Child Development/Professional Therapies not covered by insurance (horse/equine, physical therapy devices, etc.)
- Early Learning/Preschool Themed Activities
- Social Experiences for youth such as registration fees for dances, camps, prom expenses, etc.
- Currently we offer grants up to $150 per foster child per half year. Please reapply for additional grants in the following half of the year if applicable or needed.
- If you have a grant request greater than $150, we will consider reimbursing up to $150 if the family is able to pay the remaining amount.
- In a majority of circumstances, we will approve a grant request and coordinate to pay through an organization or individual providing the service. If an item is requested, we may choose to purchase the item and have it shipped directly.
- Feel free to email the organization Foster Swell Inc where our funds are donated once completing a grant request so they will know it is in the queue (email@example.com).
- Please give up to two weeks to respond to a grant request.
Note: We understand that children in foster care can be moved immediately and without warning. We do not expect reimbursement for grants due to a child being removed from a home. If possible, we strongly encourage families to seek a reimbursement and utilize the funds for other relevant expenses.
Want to help fulfill a grant request? You can do so here!
Fulfill a Grant